Listen: YouTube | Apple Podcasts | Spotify
My guest is Ido Portal, the world’s foremost expert on human movement. Ido has spent a lifetime studying, combining and evolving elements from an enormous range of martial arts, dance genres, athletic endeavors, and science, to develop a unified theory and practice of movement called “The Ido Portal Method.” Here we discuss all things movement, including the role of the nervous system, reflexive versus deliberate movement patterns, and the link between emotions and awareness in movement. We also discuss learning and neuroplasticity, the mind-body connection and how movement itself can be leveraged toward expanding other types of skills- cognitive, creative and otherwise. As one of the most sought out teachers of movement alive today, the knowledge Ido shares in this conversation can benefit everyone—children, adults, athletes, dancers, clinicians and trainers and the everyday person.
Watch Ido Portal lead Andrew through his movement practice.
- The Role of Variability in Motor Learning (Annual Review of Neuroscience)
Timestamp links will open in YouTube.
- 00:00:00 Ido Portal, Movement & Movement Practice
- 00:03:30 AG1 (Athletic Greens), ROKA, Helix Sleep
- 00:07:49 What is Movement?
- 00:10:56 Movement & the Body-Mind Connection
- 00:14:47 Entry Points to Movement
- 00:18:08 Early Education in Movement: Awareness, Play & Examination
- 00:21:19 Stillness, Movement & the Environment, Playfulness
- 00:31:34 Unique Postures, Types of Movement, Contents vs. Containers
- 00:40:50 Discomfort: Marker of Movement, Failures & Learning
- 00:47:05 Movement Diversity, Squat Challenge, Injury, Movement Evolution
- 00:56:36 Animal & Human Movements, Gain & Change
- 01:02:04 Core Movement, Emotion & Memory, Spinal Waves, Evolution
- 01:12:39 Song, Dance & Complex Language, Movement as Language, Consilience
- 01:21:39 Movement Culture, Community, Collective Knowledge, Wild & Wise
- 01:26:36 Potential for Movement, “Humming”
- 01:32:18 Instructiveness vs Permissiveness, Degrees of Freedom
- 01:35:50 Variety, Diversity & Virtuosity
- 01:38:06 Vision & Movement, Focus & Awareness, Panoramic Awareness
- 01:48:28 Hearing & Movement
- 01:52:43 Walking Gaits
- 01:56:55 Playful Variability & Evolution, Improvisation & Openness
- 02:03:05 Reactivity & Personal Space, Touch & Proximity to Others, Play & Discomfort
- 02:18:13 Visualization & Experience, Feedback
- 02:20:14 Linear Movement & Movement Investigation, Examination
- 02:31:45 Zero-Cost Support, YouTube Feedback, Spotify & Apple Reviews, Sponsors, Momentous Supplements, Instagram, Twitter, Neural Network Newsletter