Today’s episode provides an introduction to how the nervous system works to create sensations, perceptions, emotions, thoughts and behaviors, as well as how we can change our nervous system—a phenomenon known as neuroplasticity.
The information sets the stage for all Huberman Lab Podcast episodes that follow by covering neurons, synapses, brain chemicals and the rhythms that control our ability to focus, learn and sleep…and more.
Timestamp links will open in YouTube.
- 0:00 Introduction
- 5:00 What is the Nervous System
- 8:55 Deja Vu
- 10:50 How War, Guns & Soap Shaped Our Understanding of the Brain
- 13:30 Jennifer Aniston Neurons
- 14:30 Sensations
- 16:10 Magnetic Sensing & Mating
- 17:30 Perceptions & The Spotlight of Attention
- 18:30 Multi-Tasking Is Real
- 20:10 Bottom-Up vs. Top-Down Control of Behavior
- 21:15 Focusing the Mind
- 21:55 Emotions + The Chemicals of Emotions
- 24:30 Antidepressants
- 27:40 Thoughts & Thought Control
- 28:35 Actions
- 33:20 How We Control Our Impulses
- 36:25 Neuroplasticity: The Holy Grail of Neuroscience
- 41:20 The Portal to Neuroplasticity
- 46:40 Accelerating Learning in Sleep
- 50:20 The Pillar of Plasticity
- 55:00 Leveraging Ultradian Cycles & Self Experimentation